Wednesday 1 February 2012

Clock Make Over

So, I recently painted some huge gray and white stripes in my kitchen.  I'm officially in love and I kick myself at least once a day for not doing it sooner.


Here is what it looked like before.  Not to mention the boring walls.



The Family Time Clock Make Over

First step was to remove the clock mechanism and peel off the existing vinyl.  I then spray painted that bad boy the same color as the other accessories in the kitchen (Rustoleum Aqua).  


I then glazed it using the same technique as the family frame I made for my SIL.  Wipe on...wipe off, Daniel-san.   I wiped it off in a circular pattern to give it some depth.  It's subtle but I like it much better than a flat color.


 I then painted the routed edge white.


Then comes the fun part.... applying the vinyl!  There are few things more gratifying than peeling back that transfer tape.


I cut everything using my Silhouette SD.  The shapes I used were:


  • scallop artisan shapes
  • 1 piece circle frame
  • frame (seriously, that's what it's called...?)
  • decorative oval frame
  • 'families are forever' circle
And here it is with all the vinyl applied and the clock mechanism put back on.  Please ignore that random swatch of fabric taped up there....I'm trying to figure out some curtains.  



Ah, but we're not QUITE done.... (P.S. Did you know 10:10 is supposedly the most "pleasing to the eye" time?  If you look at clocks in magazines and catalogs they are almost always set to 10:10... weird, huh?)

Next I printed off some of my favorite pictures onto cardstock, punched them out with my 2" circle punch and taped them on to the blanks.  I figured that was the easiest way to make it so I can switch out the pictures whenever I wanted.



I added pictures from when my kids were babies.  Some recent photos.  And one from when the husband and I got hitched.... (wait, see?  Now it's 10:13 and that clock is hideous!  :)



It's subtly symbolic of the passing of time and yet a visual reminder of our eternal family.  

 I know.... I'm super deep like that.


We now refer to the time as something like "Hurry! We are late!  It's already Big Jack:Baby Tanner o'clock!"  Of course then it takes us a few minutes to figure out what time that really is as we search for the pictures and we are even later.  But it's totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment