Thursday 2 February 2012

Drop Cloth Ruffle Pillow


 I enjoy making pillows and this easy ruffle drop cloth pillow was no exception. I love the drop cloth's texture and oatmeal color combined with the shabby chic-ness (if that is a word) of the frayed ruffle edges.

















The first thing to do is measure your insert pillow, mine was 19x19. By adding 2" to the width and doubling the length and adding an additional 8" my fabric piece to cut out was 21x46 (Kim from Restoration House shared these measuring guidelines which I am so thankful for, as I was always guessing before).

Adding the extra 8" allows for a fold over flap in the back of the pillow making it easy to change up the pillow's cover when the seasons change (or your tastes for that matter); something that I am always doing.

Once you have your cut fabric, iron a small hem on each short end and stitch along it for a nice, finished edge.
  

There was a flaw in the fabric so I used this spot to place the ruffles.  

The ruffles were strips of drop cloth 2" wide and were as long as I could get them. If you want to know how to make the ruffles (it's super easy), check out my picture tutorial here. As a side note, ruffles made from drop cloth material will have loose, frayed edges.  While I love this "distressed" quality be prepared for lots of strings.


















Pin the ruffles in place across the width of the fabric, then stitch right down the middle of the ruffle. Repeat this for each row of ruffles you have; for this pillow, I chose to do three rows of ruffles.























Once your ruffles are sewn to the fabric, it is time to sew up the case.  Taking the length of your rectangle, fold down your top end around 6" or so (this will be the flap in the back).  Bring the bottom  end right up to meet the top of the pillow case.

Pin sides in place then stitch down the length of each side using a 1" seam allowance.  I like to sew back and forth over the area where the flap is just to make sure nothing rips when removing or inserting the pillow forms.  Don't forget to trim your corners (close to the stitching) then turn right side out, wiggling your corners into perfect points.  

Add caption

















Fit your pillow form into the case and you are finished - a lovely, simple ruffle pillow!

















No comments:

Post a Comment