Thursday 2 February 2012

Snowy White Sparkly Garland


P1120983

Not only is Pellon interfacing translucent so that the colors of the tree lights will shine through, but it is also soft and snowy white. And as I discovered when I hung my Espejitos on the tree for the first time, little mirrors add a beautiful sparkle and depth to a tree. And - I really, really wanted to play with the new Clover Kanzashi templates.
I started this project out thinking I would use only Kanzashi flowers, but once I realized how many double flowers I was going to have to make and how little time I had in which to make them, I decided to add some yo yos.
Don't they look pretty together?
P1120964
The garland is easy to make! All you need is:
Pellon - sew in kind - fairly light weight (great way to use up all those scraps that have been accumulating for years!)
craft mirrors - 1/2" and 1"
Clover Kanzashi template (available at most craft stores
Clover Yo yo template (I make mine by hand faster - but whatever works for you)
needle and thread
hot glue
scissors
optional: snow glitter and Mod Podge
P1120930
To begin:
1. Cut your fabric. For the purple Kanzashi template I made my squares 3"x3". For the yo yos, I cut circles 5 1/2" in diameter. Finished flowers and yo yos are about 3" across.
P1120977
2. Make your Kanzashi flowers (or yo yos) according to the instructions that are supplied with the templates. 
The number of flowers you make will be determined by the length of your garland and how far apart you space your flowers. My garland ended up to be about 72" long - I used 18 flowers (and yo yos) spaced approximately 7" apart.
3. Cut a length of yarn or ribbon ( I used cotton yarn) that is about 24" longer that you wish your garland to be.
4. To secure the Kanzashi flower to the yarn, place a spot of hot glue over the center back of one flower and place the yarn right on top. Place the other flower (back side to back side) on top of the string and glue spot and press together firmly but gently.
P1120978
Note: I found that I could tweak and fiddle and poke and prod my little petals into many different shapes so that several different looking flowers could be made using one template.
P1120973
To illustrate the steps for attaching each flower (or yo yo) and for adding the mirrors, I chose to use a yo yo rather than a Kanzashi flower but I will refer to it as "the flower".
5. Again, to secure the flower to the yarn, place a bit of glue on the center back of one of the pair of "flowers" and position the yarn in the glue.
P1120969
6. Place the other flower on top - back sides together - and press firmly until the glue sets.
P1120971
7. To secure the mirrors, place a spot of hot glue in the flower center and press one mirror into the glue and hold a few seconds. Turn the flower over and repeat.
Caution: BE SURE the mirrors are at warm room temperature before applying the hot glue.
P1120975
8. Press both mirrors gently together and hold a few seconds until the hot glue sets.
P1130021
Repeat until all your flowers have been secured to your garland yarn and let dry about an hour. Hang on your tree, your mantle, over a doorway, along a bannister, over your front door.....
P1130022
This is where I hung mine!
P1130002
Once I finished the garland, I made a couple more yo yo's to use as ornaments for the Hand Made Tree Challenge going on over at Mega Crafty! See how cool it looks with the colored light shining through the translucent fabric? Just as I imagined it!
P1120991
A few light strokes of a Mod Podge filled brush and a sprinkling of snow glitter and this little ornament twinkles as it moves in the air currents.
P1130004
As I was sitting making yo yos and flowers, I started wondering if it would be possible to use the coffee filters I won in Meg's giveaway last spring to create an ornament! If Meg can make snowflakes and flowers and spidey webs using coffee filters, I should be able to make yo yos!
I really had my doubts about this working - but wow - look at it! It worked beautifully!
It is constructed in exactly the same way. I used coffee filters designed for 8 to 12 cups which gave me an ornament that is about 3 1/2" in diameter.
P1120984

P1120986

P1120987
The cost: Full bolt of Pellon purchased at the thrift $1.99.
Craft Mirrors purchased on sale $1.98
I am not counting the coffee filters because they were a gift and I still have 198 left!
Grand total for these two ornaments (and the garland) $3.97 leaving me with a balance in my kitty of $12.79.
And now - I am going to go decorate my Christmas tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment