Thursday 2 February 2012

Hearts and Flowers Wreath... and a blizzard!



Yesterday I showed you that I cut a foam base into a heart shape and mentioned that I was dyeing coffee filters.


I dyed about 50 filters I think, using neon pink food coloring.

I mixed the food coloring with a little water in a bowl. Curled up the filters into a flowery shape and dipped just the ends into the dye.



Since our stove has a pilot light (which always keeps it just a little bit warm) I placed batches of wet filters onto a wax paper lined cookie sheets and let them dry in the oven for about an hour.


The result was a soft graduated pink to white coloring.


Then I began filling my foam with the filters.


To do this I added a small dot of white glue to the bottom of the filter and used a small dowel (about the thickness of a pencil) to push it into the foam.


I filled and filled and filled the foam with my filters. Placing them pretty close together so the tightly packed ruffles looked like flowers.


Once the entire foam piece was covered I glued ribbon around the edge of the foam to cover the unfinished edge.


I also glued a loop of ribbon on the back to hang the wreath from. And since the back will be visible through the window on my door I traced the foam shape onto some brown craft paper and glued that onto the back. It's gives it a neater look than just having the foam.


And because it's still snowing I'll have to wait to show you how it looks hung on the door, but I I'm happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment